Monday, August 20, 2007

Simplifying


The call of the new. A desire to make ourselves feel good. The learned idea that we reward ourselves with something new/tangible. All of these are reasons for consuming more and storing up for oursevles material things.

Matt & I have been and are still on a journey of learning to live more with less, to be content with the state of our things as they are and learning to let go of things that are no longer loved, used and appreciated.

To list all of the things we have let go of in the past few months would take too long but let's just say that our 2 bedroom unit is feeling more spacious than it ever has in all of the 4 years we've lived here....and that's with a 1 year old toddler added to the mix! We love it!

Our bedroom is just that...a restful haven for sleep. Our office/spare room has one wall lined with all our bookcases and it feels so friendly! The loungeroom is still a work in progress. Whilst the kitchen is slowly becoming a place where meals and snacks can be whipped up quickly and easily because there are less things and appliances to push through to get to the useful things! YAY!

Our inspiration? Paul's words in 1 Timothy 6:8 challenging us to be content with food and clothing. Don Aslett's book "Clutter's Last Stand" and Sara's blog simply titled Walk Slowly, Live Wildly--her family is currently living in an RV on tour around America and they have only stored a few plastic boxes of things behind with her family!

How I long to be able to let go of the excess in my life and say with Paul:

“I don’t have a sense of needing anything personally. I’ve learned by now to be quite content whatever my circumstances. I’m just as happy with little as with much, with much as with little. I’ve found the recipe for being happy whether full or hungry, hands full or hands empty. Whatever I have, wherever I am, I can make it through anything in the One who makes me who I am.”

Philippians 4:12 (The Message)

No comments: